Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Burped on the 3rd of July

A busy weekend found me doing my weekend run Saturday night. I also found that tortilla soup is not something you want to eat before a 5 mile run. I was a couple minutes off the total time I wanted but I'll chalk that up to indigestion and take it as a learning experience. Mental note 1: Pack Gas-X for the marathon. Mental note 2: figure out how to carry it during the marathon.
One plus of running at night is the cool weather, and on that night, early fireworks going up before the 4th of July. I was pleased to find I could push the pace a bit even after 4 miles to limit my time loss. I'll have to not make a habit of that, though, since the longer runs are supposed to be at an easy pace.

More fun news... mapped the last Austin Marathon on MapMyRun for all the world to see.
I was a bit surprised nobody seemed to have done that already but I thought I would learn something about the challenge ahead from doing so. The elevation change looks more dramatic than I expected, but it's still not significant enough for most people to consider "hilly":

Compare to my last run, which was actually much more downhill-ish:
I think I need to run this loop in the other direction sometimes to get more of a long climb in.

For long runs in the future, I think I'll try to better match some sections of the marathon. Where safe, I'll try to run sections of the marathon itself. Not too easy on the parts that will be on closed major roads, so I'll wait for the 2011 course to be released!


No comments:

Post a Comment